Charity event spotlight - National Concert series

Jessie Tylre Williams

Eventually, I will try to talk about events before they happen, then give an update after the event, when I talk about my next event.  In the perfect scenario, a blog post will talk about how an event went, then tell you about the next event.  Key words, “in a perfect scenario” – I want to make sure that I tell you about an event first, then the next post will set off the sequence.

This will not be the case here.  I will tell you about last event, which I hadn’t told you about previously.  In my mind, this way I can keep the blogs shorter and with better structure (lets see how that works).

Early in March I bought tickets to attend the “National Concert Series Gala” event held at the 4 points Sheraton on Argyll street here in Edmonton. We went all out and got a room for the night so that our DD was an elevator.  I had heard about the event when chatting with my friend Ed, who was also attending the Airdrie Sass Jordan event, and he was telling me about the Red Deer event he attended. My planets aligned when I was given my surgery date to confirm there wouldn’t be a conflict, so I grabbed tickets.

The NCS is an initiative of Jessie Tylre Williams, an Alberta singer/song-writer who wants to fundraise and bring awareness for PTSD issues.  Gala dinner events are held in various locations, and 2016 events have been held in Red Deer and Edmonton, with others planned for Medicine Hat and Winnipeg.

This event was hosted by MC for the evening Gord Steinke, a local personality whom is also known for his connection to the Canadian Armed Forces.  There were many speakers throughout the evening, telling stories about their own journeys, in both directions – how they got to the darkest places of their minds, and most importantly, how they returned.

Key highlight of the evening was musical performances by Jessie herself.  Although the PPCLI drum line did an excellent opening performance that was quite eye-catching, and a local high school choir did an amazing job of O Canada.  During the dinner, Jessie gave an acoustic performance of her own songs that were quite touching and relevent to the audience.  After dinner, she was playing with her full band, a set of tunes that got people out on the dance floor (not me, I have 2 left feet).

One of the key speakers (likely a supported charity) was Can Praxis, who gave an enjoyable talk, with a short video clip that highlights the benefits of the therapy program.  I have always believed the benefits of animals for mental health, so this isn’t news to me – but it might be to some.

The evening would not be complete without a silent auction, which is always a solid revenue stream.  We did pretty good, and I managed to get a couple really, really sweet deals.

Some weblinks that weren’t included above –

Jessie’s Twitter, and Organizing helper Don CH 12

Overall, a great event for a great cause.  We did our best to support the bar profits (overall cheap prices).  Well done to all involved.  If you get the chance, it makes a great evening out with your significant other.

Comments