Charity event weekend

I have a big weekend coming up, with a charity poker run to attend, and the Annual Bladder Cancer awareness walk.  It will be a busy time for me.  I want to give information about both events, in case you are looking for something to do or support.  I put a ton of links (an even 20 this time) to event pages, groups, blogs, and websites; please be sure to check them out, and support them with a like/share/follow etc.  

The quick and dirty details about the events:
Saturday – 24 Sept, 0900 at Blackjacks in Nisku, poker run raising money for One Broken Biker.
Bladder Cancer walk – 25 Sept, 0900 at Wellspring Edmonton (65 av/113 st), check bccwalk.ca for locations near you.

The details:

One Broken Biker is an organization founded by a daughter who realized there were no community support mechanisms to help fallen riders when her father was seriously injured in a crash she witnessed.  Ashlee has been chronicled in other blogs and even national motorcycle magazines (recently in Motorcycle Mojo).  I can’t match the quality of the articles, so I will just provide you the links to learn about her and OBB.
OBB launched and has operated predominantly in Calgary.  Still only a few years old, they are working on developing the process to expanding their area of influence and support.  Their biggest support in Edmonton became noticed in the spring of this year when they provided support to the family of Juanita, who was injured in a crash that occurred during the Wheels for our Wounded Poker Run in May.  I know that they have also been in touch with my buddy that crashed on the MMI poker run almost a month ago.
To put their official Edmonton launch together, a poker run is happening.

This will be OBBs first fundraising event in Edmonton (that I know of).
They have supported Edmonton riders, so it only makes sense that we support them, as you never know if you or someone you know, needs their help.
I can imagine the complexity of trying to incorporate a predominantly Calgary base of sponsors and supporters into a new market in order to make the launch a success.  Initial indications are that the sponsors are completely on board.

blue-circle-contest
click to enlarge

For example: (click on poster for details)
– Coffee start to the day at CycleWorks Edmonton at 0830…. I bet you can get some fangirl moments and maybe a photo taken with Troy and Ang of RideStopngo.  (They had me attending when they said coffee)

– Blue Circle insurance is offering a contest to win free gas, just need to RSVP, and then be there when they announce the winner (I have no idea when they will do it).

The event is a poker run that starts from Blackjacks Roadhouse and then heads for a loop into the countryside returning to Blackjacks… paying for your poker run hand also gets you either breakfast or one of the awesome BBQ burgers that Blackjacks makes for all poker runs ….  There will be 50/50 draws, music and a great time. Registration 0930 – 1030, kickstands up at 1100.

Come down and welcome this group (as I am sure they are bringing a big entourage from Calgary) and show that Edmonton really gets behind their riding community.

bcaw-2Bteam1

The Bladder Cancer awareness walk is the only major fundraising event for the type of cancer that I am fighting.  I have mentioned before that Bladder Cancer is one of the low profile cancers when it comes to support from major cancer societies or foundations.  This means that they have to fund Canadian research and awareness campaigns on their own.  Bladder Cancer Canada is the organization that does this.  Here is a link to their website, and another link to their financial reports, as their policy shows that transparency is key.  This mostly volunteer run (I am pretty sure) organization does the best it can, and has only been around for a small number of years.

I am sure it comes as no surprise that I was quickly absorbed into the planning team here in Edmonton.  Being the youngest of the crowd, I guess I am the one the most in tune with “popular culture and social media” (even though when my kids were teenagers, I don’t think I was considered cool or up to date) so I started some Facebook and Twitter pages for the group to help build up some local online awareness.  Please check out our pages and give a like/follow/share etc, it would be appreciated to help build up the following and awareness that is pretty important to our cause.
The event starts at the new Wellspring Edmonton facility near 65 ave and 113 st.  This facility is a non-profit support center for cancer patients, families, and caregivers.  I think we are the first big event to be held there.  Registration can be done online to accept pledges (and gives instant tax receipts) or you can print off an old fashioned paper pledge sheet from the website, and bring it and the money in at 9 am.
The walk kicks off around 10, and is a loop of about 3 kms, those adventurous enough could do 2 loops, and go one direction clockwise, and another counterclockwise.  Part of the awareness portion is for people to be seen walking, which helps others know that something is going on, and maybe they get curious enough to stop in to see… every bit of education helps.
On a personal note – if you are looking for a team or community to pledge/donate to… here is the list of locations.  If you are not concerned about a certain location/team – Here is a team that is very close to my heart, please consider supporting them, as well as consider supporting the sponsors that have made themselves larger supporters… there should be coffee available from Starbucks, muffins and such from Save On Foods, and other items for support … but the big reason to come out is that a door prize is a race car ride that has been donated by Edmonton International Raceway in Wetaskiwin…..

In related news – the High Level Bridge in Edmonton will be lit up in the Bladder Cancer colours on Sept 20th if people would like to go take a look.  It was done in May for Bladder Cancer awareness month, but I wanted to do it again so that I can connect it to the walk.  I hope the weather co-operates and I get some good pictures.  I am still looking for the best vantage point.

Thanks again for reading this far, please share and help me spread the word.
watch for my next video coming on the YouTube Channel after the High Level bridge gets lit up.

Comments